Proloquo2Go - AAC for iPhone and iPod Touch
AssistiveWare and Sennott Consulting have announced that they are working on a groundbreaking Alternative & Augmentative Communication (AAC) program for Apple's iPhone and iPod touch called Proloquo2Go. It's expected to ship by the end of March, 2009.
Features listed on the Proloquo2Go website:
- Communication system designed from the ground up optimized for the iPhone/iPod touch
- Built-in text-to-speech (male, female and child voices)
- Picture and text based communication
- Over 6000 symbols plus you can easily add your own pictures
- Easy to use, yet with powerful customization options
- Many innovative features to facilitate and speed up your communication
No cost has been released yet, but I would expect that even with the cost of an iPod Touch included this should make a very competitively priced AAC system. A Cyrano Communicator, for example, costs US$1399 and runs on a small pocket PC with a touchscreen which is very roughly similar to an iPod Touch or iPhone. Saltillo's ChatPC, running on a touchscreen palm sized PC runnind Windows Mobile, starts from US$2395. Dynavox's Palmtop
Those who are interested can leave their details on the website and will be notified when Proloquo2Go is available. Samuel Sennott has also posted on his blog that there will be presentations on Proloquo2Go at the ATIA conference this week. See his post for further details.
- Ricky Buchanan